Saturday, July 26, 2014

Product Review: RoadNoise Safety Vest

Product Review:  RoadNoise Safety Vest.
As with any review, the opinions expressed are my own.  I offer my review and input of running gear and related products now and then and offer advice if it is something you should consider investing in....  Check this out:   


As the video above mentions, this safety vest is highly reflective, no batteries, cords or extra nonsense to deal with and comfortable to wear.  I have not had any bouncing or shifting on the several runs I have used it on.
  


I can't think of a single "con" with this product.  If you can't hear your music over traffic or other noise in your surroundings, that is probably a good cue to check out your surroundings.  I can hear everything around me and still hear my music.  If the traffic is loud or there are lots of people around me, then I should probably be listening to that instead anyway.

As with any piece of running equipment, order the proper size and you will be good to go!  The vest is reflective, light weight, easy to take on and off and speakers are positioned at the shoulders, so music can be easily heard without anything in the ears.  The price is perfect for what you are getting.  The vest is water resistant and the company knows what kind of downpours we get in Oregon!   Speakers and output cable are easily removed so that the vest can be washed.


This is the perfect solution to running safer on training runs or for a race that discourages headphones/earbuds.

...Such as Hood To Coast.

From the RoadNoise website

 THE MOTHER OF ALL RELAYS IS ALSO THE MOTHER OF INVENTION.


OUR FAVORITE 24 HOUR RACE OF THE YEAR REQUIRES RUNNERS TO WEAR A REFLECTIVE VEST FROM 6:00 PM TO 7:00AM. IN 2010 THE RELAY BANNED THE USE OF HEADPHONE/EARBUD TYPE DEVICES. RUNNERS ON OUR TEAM THAT USE MUSIC FOR MOTIVATION AND JUST PURE ENJOYMENT CAME UP WITH DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS SUCH AS SPEAKERS ATTACHED TO SHIRTS. THESE JERRY-RIGGED MUSIC PLAYERS COMBINED WITH SAFETY VESTS ADDED ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS, BATTERIES, WEIGHT, WIRES AND HASSLE. THIS LED TO THE CREATION OF ROADNOISE. THE RUNNING APPAREL THAT COMBINES SOUND AND VISIBILITY. WITH INTEGRATED SPEAKERS RIGHT BELOW YOUR EARS YOU HAVE THE SOUND YOU WANT WITHOUT ELIMINATING THE SOUND AROUND YOU.

PROBLEM? SOLUTION!


WHEN WE TESTED OUR FIRST MODEL WE WERE HOPING TO FIND A GOOD SOLUTION TO A SPECIFIC RACE ISSUE. WHAT WE DISCOVERED WAS AN ENTIRELY NEW AND PLEASANT WAY TO ENJOY OUR RUNS, DAY OR NIGHT. ROADNOISE VESTS GIVE YOU THE ABILITY TO HEAR YOUR FOOTSTEPS, YOUR BREATHING, AND YOUR SURROUNDINGS ALONG WITH YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC.

Without a doubt you can completely hear your surroundings, your foot falls, oncoming vehicles, bikes, other runners trying to pass behind you.   I have tested it in several environments and with the speakers at my shoulder, I can have my music on the lowest volume setting with my MP3 player and no one else will hear it.  You can't even tell it's a vest that plays music!

Now I can listen to music again!
"Again?"  You ask?
Well, last summer I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and was in a situation that put me cold turkey on listening to tunes.  Music that helped get my heart pumping and get my moral boosted.

The story:  6 months into my running hobby, I was bebopping down the sidewalk with my earbuds in... It was twilight hours and most people were in for the evening.  I hear a huffing and clomping runner behind me.  I ignored it as a concern and thought it was another runner trying to run in the cool of the evening.  I aslo figured with my slow pace that they would pass me soon enough.  But I have a competitive spirit and I *might* have picked up my pace a little to make them work to pass me.

CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

"What gives? Pass me already."

This person was right behind me in order to be heard over my music and my app spewing off splits.  (But I assure you it wasn't loud to begin with... I knew to keep one ear bud out, listen to cars... etc etc.  Still.  He wasn't audible until he was on my heels.)


I turn around to see a guy who is clearly not a runner right behind me.  (In 80 degree weather wearing dark clothes, a hoody with hood on and boots instead of running shoes.)  I should have been paying better attention.  I squared my feet, looked him in the eye and raised my arms like I was going to give him a bear hug.  I have no idea why I did that.  He struck the same pose.... actually.... I'm not sure who did it first.  After a millisecond (that felt like time had stood still.)  He turned around and ran away from me.

I was lucky.  But I stopped listening to music all together (along with taking some self defense classes).

This frustrated me because I have read lots of studies about how listening to music you enjoy will boost your endorphins and help you emotionally and physically through something that is physically arduous.  Running was/is not easy for me.  (The studies given to me years ago by my Doula when preparing for a medication-free childbirth.  Music was an anesthetic for the soul, so to speak.  At least a good distraction when facing some "discomfort".)

Anyway, to the point:

After a year has passed, I can now enjoy the guilty pleasure of rocking out to Snoop Dogg "Sweat" (David Guetta remix to be specific) or singing along to "Let's Get It Started" by Black Eye Peas while also being safe, alert, completely hearing my surroundings and quiet enough that no one has to know if there is a sugar pop tune on my playlist.

Thank you Roadnoise!

Check out the website here for more info, sizing chart or where to buy your vest:  http://www.roadnoise.com/

What is on your playlist?





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the positive compliments, but based on the same link being presented over again for a construction site safety vest, I'm deleting the comments.
    Safety vests similar (or the very same!) as those used for traffic control workers or those in road construction are NOT the same as those intended for running. While the $6 price tag is tempting, dealing with chafe or the bulky excess of material when running 15 miles is not ideal. When I wore the safety vest above, it was for RUNNING and the relay did not allow music. Please check out the review above before posting product suggestions for something not applicable.
    Before you comment, did you even read this?

    ReplyDelete